On average, our buildings insurance customers pay £183 a year
Excludes optional extras. Based on new customers who purchased Primary buildings cover. MORE THAN data from 1 February 2022 to 31 January 2023.
5 Star rated Upgraded buildings cover
We’ve been awarded a Moneyfacts 5 Star rating for 7 years running for our Upgraded buildings cover.
What is buildings insurance and do I need it?
If you own your house, buildings insurance covers the cost of repairs to the structure of your home when the damage has been caused by an insured event, from fires and theft to storms and flooding. When we say the structure of your home, we mean things like the walls, roof, windows and kitchen.
Buildings insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but mortgage lenders often need you to have it.
Why choose our buildings insurance?
Our cover comes with a number of benefits included as standard.
Up to £1 million buildings cover
We'll cover repairs to the structure of your home to give you extra peace of mind.
Up to £30,000 alternative accommodation (up to £100,000 for Upgraded cover).
Up to £1,000 cover for locks and keys
We'll help cover the cost of repairing or replacing your locks and keys if they're damaged or lost.
What's covered by our buildings insurance?
Damage to the structure of your home, including:
- Walls and ceilings
- Fitted kitchens and bathroom suites
- Windows and doors
- Drives, paths and gates
- Patios and paved terraces
- Garden ponds, statues and fountains permanently fixed into the ground
What's not included in our buildings cover
- Any damage which occurs over time as a result of normal use or ageing, including fading, corrosion, or old draughty windows
- Storm or flood damage to fences, hedges or gates
- If your home has been left unoccupied for 60 days or more
Full exclusions can be found in our policy wording.
When making a claim, an excess applies. This is the first part of the claim you'll have to pay.
- £50 - compulsory plus your chosen voluntary excess
- £1,000 - subsidence claims
- £350 - water leak (escape of water)
- £250 - accidental damage (if you choose this cover option)
For more information including exclusions, see the policy wording.
Choose buildings insurance to suit you
We offer 2 levels of cover – Primary and Upgraded. If you want to get Upgraded cover, select this as an optional add-on when getting home insurance with us.
Both cover levels include:
- Up to £1 million buildings cover to repair or rebuild your home
- Up to £200 home emergency assistance (Must use a MORE THAN authorised tradesperson*)
- Up to £1,000 for locks and keys
- Up to £1 million property owner’s liability – cover against third party injury or damage claims
Our Upgraded cover has these extra benefits:
- Up to £100,000 alternative accommodation
- Up to £5,000 to cover the cost of fixing the damage caused to your building after finding the source of a heating or water system leak
These cover options can only be added when you choose home insurance with us.
Looking for another cover option?
*Home emergency assistance is not available for the first 7 days after the policy is taken out.
**Boiler repair is covered under the Upgraded home emergency cover. Boiler age and servicing restrictions apply.