How to make a home insurance claim
Help when you need it most
Ways to get in touch for help with a home emergency or to make a claim:
- 24/7 home emergency support
Call 0800 300 684 if you've experienced a home emergency such as a burst pipe or break-in. We'll send an authorised tradesperson to carry out urgent repairs to fix the issue (up to £200 Home Emergency Assistance as standard, or up to £1,000 if you added upgraded Home Emergency cover*).
For more extensive repairs, such as repairing the damage, you'll need to make a claim.
- Urgent claims including Water leaks, flood and fire claims
Call us on 0330 100 7783 to make your claim over the phone.
- Non urgent claims
All other types of home insurance claims can be made online 24/7.
Before you start your claim
Check your cover and excesses which you can find in your policy schedule. Different types of claim may have different excesses.
Important: Damaged items
If items are damaged, please don't dispose of them before speaking to our claims team, as we may need to inspect the damage. If there's a risk to health and safety, please take photographs to show the damage before disposing of them safely.
Need to make an accidental damage claim?
Before you start your claim, please check you've got accidental damage included in your policy as this is an optional cover.
When you'd need to claim for accidental damage
Accidental damage covers you for those "whoops" moments such as spilling wine on your carpet, damaging your mobile phone, tablet or TV at home or putting your foot through the ceiling while in the loft.
When you start your claim, we'll ask you to provide details including:
- What happened and when
- How many items have been damaged
- What's been damaged
- The type, age, make, model of the item(s)
- We may also need you to provide proof of ownership e.g. a receipt or invoices, and details of where the item was purchased
Need to make a buildings claim?
You may need to make a buildings claim if damage has been caused to the structure of your home, such as plumbing, walls, roof, windows, kitchen units and bathroom suites.
- If you've experienced a home emergency such as a burst pipe, break in, roof leak or anything where further damage is likely, or there’s a risk to health and safety, please call our 24/7 Home Emergency Helpline on 0800 300 684.
When you register your claim we'll ask you to provide details including:
- What happened
- What part of your home has been damaged
- Which rooms have been affected
- Whether your home is secure
- If there are any issues with your water or electricity supply
- How much you have been quoted to fix the damage
- Photographs of the damage
Need to make a contents or personal possessions claim?
Contents include items in your home that could be taken with you if you moved home, such as furniture, televisions, laptops, jewellery and clothing.
If you've experienced a break-in
If you need help securing your home following a break-in, call our emergency helpline on 0800 300 684. Please contact the police and obtain a crime reference number.
When you register your claim we'll need you to tell us a few more details including how entry was gained to your property and the crime reference number.
Theft or loss of possessions away from home
If your possessions have been lost or stolen away from home you'll need to check your policy includes personal possessions cover, which you can find in your policy schedule.
When you register your claim we'll need you to tell us where you think you lost the item(s) or where the item(s) were stolen and the crime reference number if applicable.
When you register your claim, we'll ask you to provide details including:
- When the incident happened
- The type of item(s) you are claiming for such as electrical or jewellery
- Make, model and serial number of TVs/appliances/other electronic devices
- Make, model, storage capacity, colour and IMEI numbers of mobile phones and tablets
- Photographs of the items you are claiming for
- We may also need proof of ownership e.g. a receipt/invoice and details of where it was purchased
What happens next?
When you register your claim online we’ll call you with the next steps.
If you submit your claim online:
- before 12pm, we'll aim to be in touch the same day
- after 12pm, we'll aim to be in touch the next working day
We'll only call between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, or 9am to 5pm Saturday.
Depending on the type of claim, we can also put you in touch with our authorised tradespeople to help get things back to normal.
Frequently asked questions about home claims
*You must use a MORE THAN authorised tradesperson. Home Emergency Assistance is not available for the first 7 days after the policy is taken out.
Calls may be recorded and monitored. Charges may apply if you call us from your mobile phone.