To make getting a home quote a quick and simple process. We’ve created this guide to help get you in the know about what you need to tell us to get a home insurance quote.
Property details – About your home
We need to ask some questions about your home.
We will ask things like:
- Your address – we need your postcode
- Type of property, it is detached, a semi or a flat
- Year built – give an approximate date. You can find this on your home contract details
- Number of bedrooms
- Do you have a burglar or smoke alarm
- Has your property been flooded - in the last 5 years
- The number of claims - in the last 3 years.
About the cover you need
Next, you need to choose your cover.
There are 3 options to choose from:
- Buildings and contents – most popular
- Buildings only – includes the structure of your home and any outbuildings
- Contents only – your belongings in the home. Ideal for people who rent or live in flats.
You need to work out the level of buildings and contents cover you need.
We offer up to £1 million buildings cover to rebuild your home. If you need more, call us.
When working out the cost to rebuild your home remember not to include the land because you have brought this already when you purchased your home. BCIS have a useful tool to calculate the rebuild costs of your home.
Working out your contents is more complicated and time-consuming. Our handy guide gives tips about how to value your contents. After working out the value of your contents. It is good to think about the cover you need. Our standard cover includes in the home only. But you might want to take your things out with you, such as going to the shops or a night out. If you want out and about cover you need to add our personal possessions cover.
Here is a list of our cover options:
- Accidental damage – for those mishaps
- Personal possessions - out and about cover
- Bicycles (pedal cycles)
- Upgraded home emergency cover
- Personal money – up to £500 when you take cash out with you
- Legal services – covers disputes and access to documents and a helpline.
We offer up to £100,000 contents cover in the home only, as standard. If you need more, call us for a home quote.
We will ask you things like:
- Your name
- Marital status
- Date of birth
- Who you live with – number of adults and children
- Your homeownership status
- If you own a cat or dog
- Do you smoke
- Do you want to add a joint policyholder?
You may want to add a joint policyholder to help manage your home policy if you’re not about.
Next, you need to decide how you want to pay for your home policy.
You can choose from:
- Annually – one single payment
Final part of getting a quote – eligibility statement/when we can’t insure you
We need to check some details about you and your property before you get a quote. This is the final stage before you get a quote. If you answer no to any of these questions you will need to speak to us to get a quote.
These questions include:
- Criminal convictions – this excludes driving offences
- Have you been refused or had any insurance policy cancelled.
- What your home is built of – is it standard construction such as bricks and tiles
- Is it a listed building
- Is the property left empty for long periods – over 60 days.
We need to confirm:
- Rebuild costs up to £1 million is enough
- Is up to £100,000 contents cover sufficient
- Your home hasn’t been flooded in the last 5 years.
Please be honest and tell us the correct information. If the information is incorrect it can invalidate your home insurance policy. This means we may not payout for a claim or cancel your policy. Now, getting a home quote should be a quick and simple process.