Home Emergency Assistance vs Home Emergency Cover. Which is right for you?

Don’t waste time worrying about leaks, boiler breakdowns and other domestic disasters. Find out all about our different home emergency insurance cover options, what they cover and which will bring you peace of mind.

Accidents and emergencies are all an unfortunate part of life. Thankfully they’re rare but it’s important to be prepared for when they do occur. 

In these situations the most urgent priority is to get everything working and life back to normal. With our busy lives it can be difficult to find a reliable tradesperson and organise the repairs. That’s where our home emergency insurance assistance and cover options come to the rescue.

What is Home Emergency Assistance?

When a pipe bursts or the lights go out, you need help fast – no matter the time of day. We recognise how essential it is to quickly take care of household emergencies, which is why home emergency assistance comes as standard and pays out up to £200 for insured home emergencies – when a MORE THAN registered tradesperson makes the repairs. Should the registered tradesperson not be able to make the house safe to stay in, we’ll cover the cost of your overnight accommodation.

MORE THAN have a 24-hour dedicated emergency hotline so you can call for help at any time and an approved tradesperson will be sent out to take care of the problem as soon as possible.

Some of the emergencies covered with home emergency assistance (up to £200 in claim value) include: 

  • Emergency plumbing and drainage issues – a water leak in your home, a problem with the water supply or any other fault with the plumbing and drainage system that belongs to you. A qualified plumber will be sent around as soon as possible to stop the leak or other problem and attempt to restore normal service.
  • Failure of electricity – complete loss of electricity within your home due to an issue within your property. This won’t cover supply outage caused by problems before the electricity enters your home, such as industrial action.
  • Roof damage – this provides cover to make the roof of your home watertight to prevent further damage. However, it won’t cover repairs to flat roof.
  • Problems with locks, windows and doors – if your home is left exposed because of broken external doors or windows, a locksmith, carpenter or other appropriate tradesperson will be arranged to make your home safe and secure.
What is Home Emergency Cover?

By buying the home emergency cover upgrade, your maximum emergency claim amount rises to £1,000. This means that you’ll get everything you’d have with home emergency assistance (see above section), but you’ll be covered for larger claims requiring more expensive repairs. MORE THAN home emergency cover also protects you in the event of a wider range of emergencies including:

  • Problems with your boiler, heating or hot water – if your main heating system fails, leaving you without hot water or central heating, an approved tradesperson will be sent to address the problem and fix the boiler. If it isn’t fixable, you’ll get £500 towards the cost of a new one. 
  • Pest infestations – if rats, mice, squirrels, cockroaches, wasps or hornets set up residence inside your home, an approved pest controller will be sent to remove your unwanted guests as quickly as possible. If their presence means it’s not safe for you to remain in the house, overnight accommodation will be arranged for you. It’s worth noting we will only cover two pest incidents in any one insurance period.
What isn’t covered with Home Emergency Assistance and Home Emergency Cover?

The maximum home emergency assistance claim value is £200, so any repairs required over that amount won’t be covered. The maximum claim value for the home emergency cover upgrade is £1,000. 

You should also consider that non-emergency repairs won’t be covered. If your house is safe to live in and repairs can wait for a day or more, you won’t be able to claim this as part of your policy.

Examples of things that aren’t covered are:

  • A dripping tap would not be covered, as it’s not considered as an emergency.
  • If you have two toilets in your house and one becomes blocked, this wouldn’t be classed as a plumbing or drainage emergency, as you still have access to a second toilet.

Find out more about insuring your home with MORE THAN

Guides and information