Before the storm
- Keep your guttering, drainpipes and overflow pipes clear of debris and leaves and check they’re securely attached to the building.
- Bring inside or securely tie down your garden furniture and any other loose items in your garden, such as trampolines or children’s toys.
- Check loose branches or damaged trunks of trees on or near your property.
- Charge up your mobile phone and have the home claims phone number to hand in case you need to call us.
- Have a torch to hand in case of a power cut.
- Put any valuables in a safe place.
- Listen to the radio and TV and follow any advice from the emergency services.
After the storm
- If the storm causes damage to your home or business, contact MORE TH>N as soon as possible – we’re here to help.
- If you’re clearing up debris from storm damage that you want to claim for, leave it in the garden or take photographs as evidence.
- Take a good look at your roof and check for loose or missing tiles. If you spot any damage, contact us straight away for further advice.
- If you need emergency repairs to make your building weatherproof and secure, make sure you contact us as soon as possible.
Storm damage help and claims
Do you know what’s covered in your policy?
What you’re not covered for
We often receive home claims for items that customers typically aren’t covered for. The top three most claimed for items that aren’t covered include:
- Fences, hedges and gates damaged in a storm
- Pre-existing building maintenance issues brought to light by a storm
- The cost of clearing fallen trees in your garden when they haven’t caused damage to your home.
What you’re covered for
If you need to make a claim following a storm, there are also many things you are covered for. These include:
- Alternative accommodation if your home is uninhabitable
- Loss of freezer or fridge food caused by power shortages
- If you have Home Emergency cover and a domestic incident occurs which requires immediate help, we might be able to assist with securing your home with sheeting and other temporary repairs such as boarding up windows.
To check what you’re covered for, simply check your policy schedule.
Make a home claim
Before you start your claim, please try to have your policy number and as many details of the damage as possible to hand, as these will speed up your claim.
In an emergency, you can us on 0800 300 684 24/7, 365 days a year. Otherwise you can register your claim online or call us on 0330 100 7783. Calls may be recorded and monitored.
First published on 22/07/2013.