Here are our top tips to help you get your home flood-ready
- Keep an eye on weather reports and keep up to date with The Environment Agency’s 24 hour Floodline by calling 0845 988 1188 or go to their flood warning website.
- Build up your home defences. Stock up on sandbags and try asking your local council as they may have sandbags you can use. You could also store boards ready to block the doors if necessary.
- Move your valuables to a safe place. Park your car on higher ground and move other things of value upstairs.
- Put together a ‘Flood Pack’ and keep it somewhere it can be found easily and where it will be safe. This could include:
- a torch,
- a battery-operated radio (with spare batteries),
- a first aid kit,
- warm clothes,
- blankets, and
- bottles of water.
- Make sure you’re in touch with the outside world. Keep your mobile phone safe and fully charged and listen to your local TV and radio stations for news.
- Turn off gas and electricity supplies if flooding is likely.
- Put your insurance documents in a water-tight bag in a safe place, keep MORE TH>N’s contact numbers handy and, if flood waters reach your home or business, call us straight away.
Flooding help and claims
If you’re affected by flooding and need emergency help, call our helpline on 0800 300 684, open 24 hours a day.
You can register a home claim online or call us on 0330 100 7783.
Before you make a claim, please make sure you have your policy schedule and as many details of the damage as possible to hand, as this information will speed up your claim.