Guide to mobility scooter insurance

Scooters offer vital independence to people with mobility impairments so it’s essential to have them insured properly. Our guide tells you all the facts you need to know about insuring your mobility scooter.

For those who rely on them, mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are more than just modes of transport, and more important than a bike or car.

If you have trouble walking, they’re a vital part of having freedom, independence and being able to live a normal life.

They’re also expensive - so if you have a mobility scooter or are currently searching for the right one, it’s important to have the correct mobility scooter insurance.

Types of scooter

Mobility scooters – or invalid carriages – are generally separated into two categories: Class 2 and Class 3.

Class 2 mobility scooters are for use on the pavement only – except where there is no pavement, necessitating the user to drive on the road – and have a maximum speed of 4mph.

You do not need to register Class 2 scooters and you do not need a licence to use one.

Class 3 mobility scooters can be driven on the road but must have a maximum speed of 8mph and a device to limit them to 4mph when on the pavement.

You must be over 14 to drive a Class 3 mobility scooter and you must register it. Go to to see the full list of rules and requirements for using mobility scooters and what differentiates a Class 2 mobility scooter from a Class 3 one.


It is not a legal requirement to have third party insurance for mobility scooters, as it would be for other motor vehicles on the road.

However, obtaining insurance would protect you in respect of third party liability and in the event the mobility scooter is stolen or damaged.

It could be very expensive to repair or replace and could curtail your ability to get around while you’re without it.

In your home

If you use a class 2 mobility scooter in your home, then it’s covered under your home contents insurance, provided the value of the mobility scooter isn’t greater than the single item limit in your policy.

If it is, then you'll have to declare it as a specified item in addition to the rest of your contents.

Home insurers generally will not cover a mobility scooter that is licenced for road use.  It is likely specialist insurance will need to be obtained in this instance. 

Out and about

It’s very likely that you’ll be using the scooter outside your home, in which case you’ll need to have taken out Personal Possessions Cover in addition to your standard home contents insurance.

Personal Possessions Cover insures you against damage to or the loss or theft of your possessions while they're outside the home, up to a single item limit.

This means that if you were to leave the mobility scooter outside a shop whilst making a purchase and came back to find it stolen, you would be covered for the cost of replacing it.

Remember to check your insurer’s security requirements when leaving the scooter unattended, outside of the home.

Third Party

As a precaution, it may also be wise to ensure you are covered against any accidental injuries to third parties or damage to their property that occur whilst you’re using your mobility scooter.

As you’ll be driving the scooter on the pavement around pedestrians, there’s always a chance that you could drive over someone’s foot or collide with someone.

If this is deemed to be your fault then you would be liable to pay for any medical bills or property damage.

If your mobility scooter is covered by your home insurer, it's likely you'll have liability cover for the above scenarios included here.

If not, it may be worth taking out third party liability insurance, in which you would be covered for these expenses.

Read more on our contents insurance page


Related Links