Home emergency assistance vs home emergency upgrade cover. Which is right for you?
Domestic accidents and emergencies are all an unfortunate part of home ownership. Thankfully they’re rare but it’s important to be prepared for when they do occur.
In these situations, the most urgent priority is to get everything working and life back to normal. With our busy lives it can be difficult to organise the repairs quickly. That’s where home emergency assistance and home emergency upgrade cover insurance cover comes to the rescue of homeowners.
What is home emergency assistance?
Not to be confused with home emergency upgrade cover, home emergency assistance comes as standard with MORE THAN home insurance and covers you up to £200 should a pipe burst or you experience a complete failure of electricity and you need help fast, no matter the time of day.
With our 24-hour emergency hotline so you can call for help at any time, an approved tradesperson will be sent out to help make your home safe, secure and prevent further damage from occurring.
When a MORE THAN registered tradesperson makes the repairs MORE THAN will pay up to £200 towards parts and labour for insured home emergencies.
Should the tradesperson not be able to make the house safe, we’ll cover the cost of your overnight accommodation.
Here are some of the emergencies covered with MORE THAN home emergency assistance (up to £200 in claim value):
- Plumbing and drainage issues include a household water leak, a problem with your water supply or any other fault with your plumbing and drainage system within the boundaries of your home.
- Failure of electricity or a complete loss of electricity within your home due to an issue within your property.
- Provides cover for roof damage to make your home watertight and prevent further damage.
- Repairs necessary to outside doors, or to the frame or glazing of outside doors or windows to make the home safe and secure.
What is home emergency upgrade cover?
Home emergency upgrade cover is an upgrade to your existing home emergency assistance. It provides you with up to £1,000 cover if your home is made unsafe or insecure by emergencies such as loss of heating, lighting or water, including damage to your roof. We will immediately send out an authorised tradesperson to begin work to fix the issue. Remember, you’re not covered for any incident that occurs in the first seven days of the start of your home emergency upgrade cover.
Home emergency upgrade cover only fixes the cause of the problem
Home emergency upgrade cover does not provide cover to repair any damage caused by the problem. So, if your roof has a hole suffered by storm damage and water has flooded your home, we’ll provide either a temporary or permanent repair to ensure the roof is made watertight.
Repairs to water damaged items such as carpet or furnishings should be covered by your home insurance.
When you buy the home emergency cover upgrade, your maximum emergency claim amount rises to £1,000. You’ll be covered for everything you’d have with home emergency assistance, but you’ll also be covered for larger and more expensive claims.
Home emergency upgrade cover can include:
Problems with your boiler, heating or hot water
If your main heating system fails, leaving you without hot water or central heating, an approved tradesperson will be sent to address the problem. If it isn’t fixable, you’ll get £500 towards the cost of a new one.
Remember, your boiler must be serviced annually with a registered tradesman. Boilers over 15 years old or with an output of 60kW or more will not be covered.
If rats, mice, squirrels, cockroaches, wasps or hornets set up residence inside your home, an approved pest controller will be sent to remove your unwanted guests as quickly as possible.
If it’s not safe for you to remain in the house, home emergency covers you for overnight accommodation to be arranged. (Only two pest infestations will be covered in a year.)
Here's a list of things that can be covered by home emergency upgrade cover
- Burst pipes
- Broken windows
- Hole in the roof
- No hot water
- No central heating
- Internal power cut
- Blocked drain or toilet
- Pest infestations
What is and isn’t covered with home emergency assistance and home emergency upgrade cover?
- The maximum MORE THAN home emergency assistance claim value is £200, so any repairs required over that amount won’t be covered, unless topped-up by the policy holder. (The maximum claim value for the home emergency cover upgrade is £1,000.)
- Non-emergency repairs won’t be covered. If your house is safe to live in and repairs can wait for a day or more, you won’t be able to claim this as part of your policy.
- Things such as a dripping tap would not be covered, as it’s not considered an emergency.
- If you have two toilets in your house and one becomes blocked, this isn’t a plumbing/drainage emergency, as you still have access to a second toilet.
- Any incident that occurs in the first 7 days of the start of your home emergency upgrade cover.
How fast is the response time?
We’re on hand 24/7 and we’ll try to get an authorised tradesperson out to you within 4 hours of your call (in 80% cases based on MORE THAN data Jan-Jun 2020).
MORE THAN is there to assist users in selecting the right type of cover. If you need home emergency cover, speak to one of our advisors today.