Comprehensive car insurance
Award-winning car insurance
Consumer Intelligence Award for Claims Satisfaction 2021*
- Submit a claim online 24/7
- 5 Star Defaqto rated 2021 Comprehensive cover from £347 a year
Rating and price excludes MORE THAN Essentials cover. Price excludes optional extras and based on 51% of new customers purchasing. MORE THAN car insurance (comprehensive) 1 January - 30 June 2021.
What is fully comprehensive car insurance?
Comprehensive insurance (or 'fully comp') is the highest level of cover you can get for your car. It also covers you for damage caused to your vehicle, including accidents, theft, vandalism, damage caused by animals, fire, and natural disasters such as flooding.
You can also enhance your policy with add-ons for extra peace of mind, such as breakdown cover (Roadside assistance included with MORE THAN Extra) or legal assistance (included with MORE THAN Extra). However, for many drivers, comprehensive insurance is the most complete way to insure a car.
What comprehensive insurance does not cover
Contrary to what many people believe, a fully comprehensive insurance policy does not cover you to drive another person’s car. The general rule is that if you drive someone else’s car regularly, then you should be named on their policy. Some policies offer limited cover to drive other cars in an emergency situation.
For example, if a friend had an accident and they were unable to drive and you wanted to drive them to the hospital - you might be allowed if they give you permission and you meet certain criteria. However, if you have an accident en route, the level of cover is generally third party only. Clearly, there’s a lot to consider. So, it's best to check your policy document, schedule or certificate to be sure of your cover.
Why choose MORE THAN comprehensive car insurance
There are many reasons to choose MORE THAN car insurance: three fully comprehensive levels of insurance, optional extra products to further enhance your cover, and all of the cover that's included as standard such as 24/7 emergency assistance after an accident and courtesy car (excludes write off and must use a recommended repairer).
Car insurance cover explained
- Compulsory excess is the amount you pay towards the cost of a claim
- Breakdown cover - If your car broke down, would you need emergency assistance to make the car roadworthy either at the scene or at a nearby garage? (Roadside assistance included with MORE THAN Extra but excludes breakdown within one mile of your home address)
- Legal cover - If you're involved in a car accident that isn't your fault, would you need help with the cost of legal services? (Included with MORE THAN Extra)
- Wrong fuel cover If you put the wrong fuel in your car, you'll be covered for damage to your engine. We can also drain and flush your tank too, to get you back on the road faster (excess applies. Not included with MORE THAN Essentials)
- Uninsured driver promise - If you're involved in an accident with an identified uninsured driver that wasn't your fault, your No Claim bonus won't be affected (not included with MORE THAN Essentials)
- Personal belongings - damaged or stolen we'll give you up to £250 to replace mobiles, bags etc (not included with MORE THAN Essentials)
- Guaranteed courtesy car as standard with our comprehensive car insurance products (excludes a write off. Must use a MORE THAN recommended repairer
- Theft or loss of keys - If your car keys are lost or stolen, we'll cover the cost of replacement keys and locks no matter what cover level you've chosen
- Windscreen and window repair, and replacement is included with all our cover levels (excess applies)
- Personal accident is included with all our cover levels. Providing a lump sum up to £5,000 if you or your partner were involved in a life-changing accident
- Cover for audio equipment - In car entertainment - we will cover music, phones, sat navs, and DVD players, that you've added to your car post purchase
- 24/7 emergency assistance - we'll never leave you stranded after an accident (available on all covers)
- Child car seat replacement - If you are in an accident, we will replace your child's car seat even if it doesn't look damaged
Consumer Intelligence Award Winners 2021
We’ll go that extra mile to deliver outstanding service, especially when you need us most. So, we’re delighted that our customers voted us tops for Claims Satisfaction*.
How to save on your car insurance
When it comes to insurance, you’re in the driving seat. The more you know about insurance, the further your money will go. The factors that determine how much you pay for car insurance include but are not limited to:
- The type of car you own
- Repair and labour costs
- Cost when your car is new
- Your car’s insurance group
- Your annual mileage
- Your age
- Your driving history
- Additional drivers of the vehicle
- The excess fee you agree
- Whether you pay monthly or annually
Enhance your car insurance with these optional add-ons
Legal assistance and the basic level of Roadside Assistance RAC breakdown cover are included as part of MORE THAN Extra. You can also add optional extras to any level of comprehensive cover as well as enhanced levels of breakdown cover to MORE THAN Extra.
Legal assistance plan
Take the worry out of unexpected legal issues. Add our plan which includes up to £100,000 legal expenses and representation cover.
No Claim Bonus Protection
Unlike some insurers, with our optional No Claim Bonus Protection we will not reduce your no claim bonus regardless how many claims you make!
RAC Breakdown cover
Breakdowns are stressful. They come at the worst times – leaving you stranded, and late for your day. So when your vehicle lets you down, it’s great to know you have breakdown cover which you can rely on.
*Consumer Intelligence Award Winner 2021 for Claims Satisfaction. Motor insurance category. Recommended by customers. 81% of motor customers scored us 8 out of 10 or higher for Claims Service.
**MORE THAN data 1 Jan - 30 Jun 2021.