Comprehensive car insurance
Award-winning car insurance
Consumer Intelligence Award for Claims Satisfaction 2021*
- 5 Star Defaqto rated Comprehensive cover from £375 a year**
- Submit a claim online 24/7
** 5 Star Defaqto rated 2021. Excludes optional extras. Based on 50% of new customers who purchased annual Comprehensive cover.
What does 'fully comp' actually mean?
Our Comprehensive car insurance is highly rated and covers you for a wide range of eventualities, but even if you’re an experienced driver, it’s worth refreshing your memory so that you know exactly what is covered and what is not. The more you know about your car insurance, the more you make it work for you, and avoid making assumptions that could have dire consequences.
Comprehensive insurance (or 'fully comp') covers you for damage you cause to someone else’s car or their property. It also covers you for damage caused to your vehicle, including and not limited to:
- Car accident
- Damage caused by animals
- Natural disasters, such as flooding accidents.
While there are many more add-ons you can have for added peace of mind, essentially, for most drivers comprehensive insurance is the most complete way to insure a car.
A closer look at what's included:
- Damage to you or another vehicle when you’re at your fault
- Damage caused to your vehicle when fault cannot be determined
- Damage caused by fire to your car, also theft of your car or theft of belongings from your car
- Vandalism and natural disasters including damage caused by flooding, hailstones and animals
- We offer a courtesy car service as standard with every comprehensive policy, when you use a recommended repairer (excludes a write off)
- Personal accident cover of up to £5,000 should you be involved in a life-changing incident
- Windscreen cover - you’ll only pay £10 towards a repair and £75 for a complete replacement
- Child car seat replacement where in an accident we replace your child’s car seat even if it doesn't look damaged
- Personal belongings cover whether damaged or stolen we’ll give you up to £250 to replace mobiles, bags, etc
- In car entertainment - we will cover music, phones, sat navs and DVD players, that you’ve added to your car post purchase
- Wrong fuel cover, meaning if you put the wrong fuel in your car, you’re covered. We’ll provide assistance to drain your car and repair the problem
- Emergency assistance 24/7 so you’ll never be left stranded in the event of an accident
What comprehensive insurance does not cover
For example, if a friend had an accident and they were unable to drive and you wanted to drive them to hospital - you might be allowed, if they give you permission and you meet certain criteria. However, if you have an accident en route, the level of cover is generally third party only. Clearly, there’s a lot to consider. So, it's best to check your policy document, schedule or certificate to be sure of your cover.
Is comprehensive insurance more expensive than other policy types?
Not necessarily, that depends on your personal circumstances, the level of cover you need, the type of car you drive, plus your average mileage and usage. Third party, fire and theft might initially offer savings in the short term; however, it could also work out more expensive in the long term.
In the event of an accident, assess whether you’re happy to be without a car for an extended period of time or whether you can afford to pay for another vehicle. If that isn’t the case, a fully comp policy could save you a great deal of hassle and money.
Comprehensive versus third party, fire and theft
Comprehensive car insurance
Third party, fire and theft car insurance
If your car is stolen it gets replaced
Your car suffers fire damage it’s covered
Your phone or in-car entertainment system is damaged or stolen
Damage to a third person and/or their property
How to save on your car insurance
When it comes to insurance, you’re in the driving seat. The more you know, the further your money will go. The factors that determine how much you pay for car insurance include but are not limited to:
- The type of car you own
- Repair and labour costs
- Cost when your car is new
- Your car’s insurance group
- Your annual mileage
- Your age
- Your driving history
- Additional drivers of the vehicle
- The excess fee you agree
- Whether you pay monthly or annually
Future-proof your car insurance with these optional add-ons
You can also upgrade your car insurance to get a courtesy car if your car is stolen or written off
Legal assistance plan
Take the worry out of unexpected legal issues. Add our plan which includes up to £100,000 legal expenses and representation cover.
No Claim Bonus Protection
Unlike some insurers, with our optional No Claim Bonus Protection we will not reduce your no claim bonus regardless how many claims you make!
RAC Breakdown cover
Breakdowns are stressful. They come at the worst times – leaving you stranded, and late for your day. So when your vehicle lets you down, it’s great to know you have breakdown cover which you can rely on.
*Consumer Intelligence Award Winner 2021 for Claims Satisfaction. Motor insurance category. Recommended by customers. 81% of motor customers scored us 8 out of 10 or higher for Claims Service.
**MORE THAN data 01 Jun - 31 Dec 2020.