Comprehensive car insurance
Award-winning car insurance
Consumer Intelligence Award for Claims Satisfaction 2021*
- Submit a claim online 24/7
- 5 Star Defaqto rated Comprehensive cover from £347 a year**
**Excludes optional extras. Based on 51% of new customers.
What is fully comprehensive car insurance?
Comprehensive insurance (or 'fully comp') is the highest level of cover you can get for your car. It also covers you for damage caused to your vehicle, including accidents, theft, vandalism, damage caused by animals, fire, and natural disasters such as flooding.
You can also enhance your policy with add-ons for extra peace of mind, such as breakdown cover or legal assistance. However, for many drivers, comprehensive insurance is the most complete way to insure a car.
What comprehensive insurance does not cover
Contrary to what many people believe, a fully comprehensive insurance policy does not cover you to drive another person’s car. The general rule is that if you drive someone else’s car regularly, then you should be named on their policy. Some policies offer limited cover to drive other cars in an emergency situation.
For example, if a friend had an accident and they were unable to drive and you wanted to drive them to the hospital - you might be allowed if they give you permission and you meet certain criteria. However, if you have an accident en route, the level of cover is generally third party only. Clearly, there’s a lot to consider. So, it's best to check your policy document, schedule or certificate to be sure of your cover.
Is comprehensive insurance more expensive than other policy types?
Not necessarily, that depends on your personal circumstances, the level of cover you need, the type of car you drive, plus your average mileage and usage. Third party, fire and theft might initially offer savings in the short term; however, it could also work out more expensive in the long term. If you’re looking to save money by choosing a less expensive cover option, we have a guide that explains how to reduce your car insurance costs.
While third party, fire, and theft may be cheaper initially, in the event of an accident, assess whether you’re happy to be without a car for an extended period of time. Ask yourself whether you can afford to pay for another vehicle. If that isn’t the case, MORE THAN comprehensive insurance could save you a great deal of hassle and money.
Why choose MORE THAN comprehensive car insurance
There are many reasons to choose MORE THAN award-winning car insurance: 24/7 emergency assistance after an accident, Courtesy car, Personal Accident cover, and Personal Belongings Cover are included as standard in your comprehensive car policy.
A closer look at what's included:
- Damage to you or another vehicle when you’re at your fault
- Damage caused to your vehicle when fault cannot be determined
- Damage caused by fire to your car, also theft of your car or theft of belongings from your car
- Vandalism and natural disasters including damage caused by flooding, hailstones and animals
- We offer a courtesy car service as standard with every comprehensive policy, when you use a recommended repairer (excludes a write off)
- Personal accident cover of up to £5,000 should you be involved in a life-changing incident
- Windscreen cover - you’ll only pay £10 towards a repair and £75 for a complete replacement
- Child car seat replacement where in an accident we replace your child’s car seat even if it doesn't look damaged
- Personal belongings cover whether damaged or stolen we’ll give you up to £250 to replace mobiles, bags, etc
- In car entertainment - we will cover music, phones, sat navs and DVD players, that you’ve added to your car post purchase
- Wrong fuel cover, meaning if you put the wrong fuel in your car, you’re covered. We’ll provide assistance to drain your car and repair the problem
- Emergency assistance 24/7 so you’ll never be left stranded in the event of an accident
Consumer Intelligence Award Winners 2021
We’ll go that extra mile to deliver outstanding service, especially when you need us most. So, we’re delighted that our customers voted us tops for Claims Satisfaction*.
Comprehensive versus third party, fire and theft
Comprehensive car insurance
Third party, fire and theft car insurance
If your car is stolen it gets replaced
Your car suffers fire damage it’s covered
Your phone or in-car entertainment system is damaged or stolen
Damage to a third person and/or their property
How to save on your car insurance
When it comes to insurance, you’re in the driving seat. The more you know about insurance, the further your money will go. The factors that determine how much you pay for car insurance include but are not limited to:
- The type of car you own
- Repair and labour costs
- Cost when your car is new
- Your car’s insurance group
- Your annual mileage
- Your age
- Your driving history
- Additional drivers of the vehicle
- The excess fee you agree
- Whether you pay monthly or annually
Enhance your car insurance with these optional add-ons
You can also add on upgraded courtesy car to cover you if your vehicle is stolen or written off
Legal assistance plan
Take the worry out of unexpected legal issues. Add our plan which includes up to £100,000 legal expenses and representation cover.
No Claim Bonus Protection
Unlike some insurers, with our optional No Claim Bonus Protection we will not reduce your no claim bonus regardless how many claims you make!
RAC Breakdown cover
Breakdowns are stressful. They come at the worst times – leaving you stranded, and late for your day. So when your vehicle lets you down, it’s great to know you have breakdown cover which you can rely on.
*Consumer Intelligence Award Winner 2021 for Claims Satisfaction. Motor insurance category. Recommended by customers. 81% of motor customers scored us 8 out of 10 or higher for Claims Service.
**MORE THAN data 1 Jan - 30 Jun 2021.