Home Insurance FAQs
Frequently asked questions on Household Insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get free Contents in the Home cover?
- How long will I get free Contents cover in the Home?
- What level of Contents cover in the Home do I get for free?
- Will I still get Contents cover in the home free if I cancel my buildings cover?
- What will happen if make a claim?
- What if I move house?
- Will my policy be affected if I go away on holiday?
- How are lost or damaged items replaced?
- Will it affect my policy if I claim?
- What can I do if I change my mind?
- I am a Tenant, will any improvements made to my home be covered under this policy
- What is a Defaqto Star Rating?
- What if I need more cover?
No. You're covered while you are away providing you don't leave your home empty for more than 60 days. If you're planning to be away for longer than 60 days, simply contact us to arrange for your cover to be extended.
In most cases, it shouldn't make a difference to your policy. However, we may alter the terms of cover and/or increase the premium when it's time to renew the policy. If you have a break-in, we'll offer suggestions on home security and may ask you to carry out security improvements at your next renewal.
Contents cover in the home will be provided free of charge so long as you don’t make a claim.
We will provide you with up to £75,000 contents in the home cover free of charge. This offer does not include any optional extras. e.g. full accidental damage cover, cover outside the home or bicycles.
No, free contents in the home is only available to customers who purchase Buildings insurance as well.
If you make a claim under the Contents in your Home (excluding extended accidental damage claims) you will lose your Free Standard Contents in the Home discount at your next renewal. A Buildings claim will not result in the loss of Free Standard Contents in the Home.
A Defaqto Star Rating lets you know the quality of your financial product, from an independent source. Defaqto Star Ratings are an assessment of the quality of individual products, based on a series of scoring bands. The boundaries of Defaqto Star Rating bands have been set by Defaqto experts using their extensive knowledge of products in the market, the relative worth of each feature to the customer, and current and future market developments. Everyone is different however, and it is suggested that you always check the specific cover and benefits offered against your own requirements. The better the overall quality of a product compared to the rest of the market, the higher the Defaqto Star Rating. Like a 5 Star hotel, a Defaqto 5 Star Rating is only awarded to a product that satisfies our key criteria.