Home Insurance

Useful contacts

I got an error when buying online, am I covered?

Please get in touch if you've experienced a technical problem when buying online.

Where should I send my valuation certificate?

If you’ve added a specified item worth over £3000 you will need to send us a valuation certificate.

Am I covered for home emergencies such as water leaks and loose roof tiles?

Find out how your standard £200 Home Emergency cover can help in these situations.

How do I register for an online account to make changes to my home policy?

How to register and what to do if you have problems logging in.

How do I renew or cancel my home insurance?

Find out how to renew your policy online or by phone if you pay monthly or annually, and how to cancel your policy.

More For Our Customers

MORE TH>N - News and Information

MORE TH>N brings you all the news and information about what we cover, what we do and what that means for you, including flood advice.

Customer loyalty discount

You already trust us with your insurance, so we want to thank you by offering you a great deal on other selected insurance products.